Monday, February 15, 2010

February 14, 2010 (045/365)

Valentine's Day
A holiday named after two Christian martyrs named Valentine. Established by Pope Gelasius I in AD 496. A special day of romantic celebration or a hyped holiday created by greeting card companies? Everybody has their own idea of what Valentine's Day is and should be. For me it will always be the anniversary of my father's death. It's been 8 years we have been without him. It was his wishes that his ashes be scattered where he spent many days of his retired years fishing in Galveston Bay. Each Valentine's day, those in our family who can, gather on the shoreline where dad was laid to rest. Balloons are released. Some with messages written on them, some with tears, all with love. We watch the balloons as they float up to heaven and are no longer visible.
Not a day goes by that you are not thought of and missed.
I love you Pop!

3 comments:

  1. Of course I love this photo and this family! Pop was a very special man in my life as well! RIP Pop, Love you!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Touching and beautiful xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Memories MONIQUE!
    FOREVER AND ALWAYS IN MY HEART.

    ReplyDelete