Friday, January 1, 2010

January 01, 2010 (001/365)

Pork Pie
Ever since I was a little girl I always remember the making of pork pie on New Year's Day. I always thought it was something my dad originally started making and mom took over in later years, but a phone conversation today cleared that up for me. It was a recipe my grandfather Cartier made every year. Nobody had any interest in the recipe because each year they would gather at the Cartier's house and have it on New Years Day. Years later my mother requested the recipe. Mom along with one of my uncles were the only ones to make it after my Grandfather passed away. My uncle has since passed away and mom is the only one with the recipe. Since dad passed away, she doesn't make it much anymore. I don't remember eating it when I was younger. Not even sure if I ever tried it, but it was always on the table every January 1st. I don't know why, but this year I felt the need to make it. Maybe it's because I am now eating meat after being a vegetarian for about 20 years. I called mom and she gave me the recipe over the phone. She was sure to give me all the details, tips and side notes of years of making the pie. Five phone calls later, about an hour and a half in the kitchen and the Daviet's now have the Cartier's pork pie for New Year's dinner. Now I know what I've been missing all these years and it is sure to be a tradition for us for many years to come. No worries mom. Your piece is already wrapped up and in the freezer.

4 comments:

  1. So glad you're doing this too! I'm looking forwarding to following your images all year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by ladies =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. and where is the recipe? I don't see it here.

    ReplyDelete